Monday, March 3, 2008

Chase day #1 is in the bag with some ok results



Chase #1 of 2008 is done and hopefully many more to come. The conditions were marginal for tornadic storms today but felt it was worth the chase. It was good way to work out the kinks and get a lay of the land out here.


I'll give you a little analysis and overview of my day. Then I'll post a link to my pictures and there I posted a brief description on each picture.


Started out the day heading west out of Lawton about 2:30pm. My original destination was going to be Altus, Oklahoma but decided after watching the radar to stop halfway in Synder, OK. While sitting in Synder I decided to stop at filling station and wouldn't you know who is in the parking lot by Mr. Bryan Smith. After talking to him for a while and watching the storms for a while. His group decided to head north at a storm that was starting to look promising about 35miles north of Synder. I decided to head south about 5 miles south of Synder to play one of the southern storms in the better environment. Eventually one cell started to look healthy and that's where my photos start at. This head just north of Synder in the mountain view area. I drive just north of Mountain view and notice very heavy rain/hail core while to the west of that a very hard updraft base. This eventually starts to pull scud clouds and quickly develops a wall cloud. After 5 or so minutes begins to moderately rotate as it develops a inflow band to it. The wall cloud continues to head northeast as it begins to weaken but still has very fast movement straight up from the ground. The storms gets rain wrapped and quickly moves out of my view and of course goes into a State Park. I did see a couple more storms but nothing severe or really worth mentioning as my daylight goes away.


Click on the link here to view Chase #1

No comments: